21 November 2008

Cinnamon Rolls

Grandma's Cinnamon Rolls

I didn't make these for recipe club...but I made them with my joy school kids today and they were such a fun, warm treat on a cold winter day. I served them to the kids warm, without frosting...and they loved them. But I must admit...they taste great with the frosting too!

1 teaspoon lemon extract
2 cups scalded milk (let cool before adding to other ingredients)
1/2 cup softened butter
1/2 cup sugar
2 pkgs of yeast
1/4 cup lukewarm water
6 cups flour (I had to use more ....I think it just depends on the weather)
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs, slightly beaten

Filling: 1/2 cup softened butter
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 Tablespoons cinnamon
**(I like mine really gooey....so I usually add a little more of everything....so adjust the filling to
your tastes)

Icing- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
1 lb powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 cube butter
**(I think this makes a ton of frosting....so I usually half it...but again adjust it to your tastes)

Dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup water (for best results....sprinkle a little sugar on top and let sit for about 5 min). Mix in beaten eggs, lemon extract, butter, salt, sugar, and milk. Add flour, mix and knead. Dough will be soft (but not so sticky you can't handle it). Cover and let rise until double, about 1 hour. Roll out and put filling on. Roll up and cut with thread. Bake on greased sheet at 350 for 12-15 minutes. Eat warm....or cool and spread icing on. Enjoy!!!

Courtesy of Heather Koelliker

No comments: