14 December 2008

Crescent Rolls

I know this is not a cookie recipe...but I wanted to get it in before I added all the cookie recipes. I promised one of our fellow recipe clubers that I would put this recipe on our blog.

Cresent Rolls

1/2 cup warm water
2 Tbsp. yeast
1 1/2 cups scalded milk
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp. salt
2 eggs
6 cups flour
Melted margarine/butter (your choice)

Dissolve the yeast in the water and set aside. In a large bowl combine milk, shortening, sugar and salt, and let cool. Add yeast mixture. Then add eggs and flour. Mix until smooth. Refrigerate for 2 hours. Divide into 3 balls. Roll each ball into a circle and brush with melted margarine. Cut the circle into 12 equal sections. Roll each section starting from the outside and going to the point. Place on greased baking sheet. Let rise for at least 3 hours. Bake at 375* for 8-10 minutes until golden brown. Makes 3 dozen rolls.

***Just some tips I do to make the rolls light and fluffy. I sprinkle a little sugar on top of the yeast and water mixture and then let it sit 5-10 min before adding it to the rest of the mix. I also let the eggs sit out of the fridge until they are room temp. (I believe this helps the yeast because if they are too cold they can upset the yeast).

Courtesy of my Mom, Lyniss France

No comments: