30 March 2012

Mango Coconut Sorbet


adapted from Panera

4 cups fresh or frozen mango chunks (from 2 to 3 mangoes) (I used frozen)

1 fresh or frozen banana (I used fresh)

½ cup sugar
(I only sprinkled the top of the ingredients with about 1-2 tsp sugar)

½ cup canned coconut milk (I used 1.5 cups light coconut milk from Trader Joe's since I was using frozen mango)

Grated zest of 1 lime


Pinch of grated nutmeg (I omitted)

Shotrbread or some other light cookie (I served with Trader Joe's Toasted Coconut Cookie Thins)

1. Put everything but the cookies in a food processor (or blender--my ninja worked just fine). Process until smooth.

2. Line a shallow 13-inch-by-9-inch metal pan with plastic wrap, leaving enough overhanging plastic to cover the filled pan. Scrape the fruit mixture into the pan, cover with plastic, and freeze until solid, at least 4 hours or overnight. (I just put right in to a plastic tupperware container and put in the freezer until ready to serve)

3. Break into small chunks with a sturdy metal spatula and transfer to a food processor. Pulse until soft and snowy but not melted, about 1 minute. Scoop into dessert cups and serve with the cookies. (I omitted the food processing step-- I just took right out of the freezer and served because I like the soft serve consistency).

No comments: